Friday 16 November 2012

Why the Pokemon Franchise has gone downhill...

We all know what started the trend. The original Gameboy cartridges:

Red, Blue and Yellow
The good ones... The Kanto Region. Pokemon Yellow was my first ever game. And I loved it. I loved having Pikachu wandering behind me, being able to measure his happiness level by facing him and pressing A... It was the little things that made the game. And the Pokemon were very well designed, even if there were only 150 of them.


It was a good marketting point for the story as well, leaving home on an adventure with your best friend who was an adorable yellow mouse (that looks like a rabbit) with the power to electricute anything and anybody at will. Sounds evil, but it is meant to be a lovely story of friendship - I swear.

The Johto region came next, and I was excited. More Pokemon, more adventures. The downside was not having a little companion running behind you (Although that does change in heart gold and soul silver). It was a good game. As was Ruby and Sapphire and Crystal... And you get the idea...

It really began to go downhill at Diamond and Pearl. Like it was trying so hard to milk the franchise for every penny it's worth. The Pokemon began to look less real and more plastic. And this became that much worse on the introduction of Black and White - I mean... Vanilluxe... Trubbish... Chandelure...

The entire collection looks like something one would find in a swanky kitchen, and just outside a swanky kitchen. I know there's people that will disagree with me. There were pretty rough designs for the other regions too, such as Trappinch and Lickitung... (He also has a Black/White Evolution known as Lickilick). But I have never disliked a pokemon generation as much as this one.

Let's hope they redeem themselves after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment